Adapting Paulo Freire’s work to our changing reality
Training for Transformation (TfT) is a programme of The Grail Centre Trust, in South Africa. The Diploma course is an intensive, year-long course using participatory methodology to explore Paulo Freire’s approach to critical conscientization and its application to our reality. It is designed for development practitioners, facilitators and community organisers from CBOs, NGOs and FBOs.
2018 - 2019 DIPLOMA IN DEVELOPMENT EDUCATION
Residential Phases - Residential phases at the Grail Centre in Kleinmond, South Africa.
3 September 2018 – 28 October 2018 (Phase 1)
06 May 2019 – 30 June 2019 (Phase 3)
Home Phases - Applied field work in participants’ communities, under the guidance of country mentors.
29 October 2018 – 05 May 2019 (Phase 2)
01 July 2019 – 2 September 2019 (Phase 4)
AIMS OF THE DIPLOMA COURSE
- To build a new level of leadership in the development education field that is grounded in good theory and practice.
- To build the skills, insights and abilities of teams, from NGOs and community organisations, to empower local self-reliant community development efforts and to link these efforts within wider national and global movements within civil society.
- To build confidence, knowledge and skills to work with and challenge local and national governments to ensure macroeconomic policies that are to the advantage of the marginalised.
AREAS OF STUDY FOR THE DIPLOMA COURSE
- Personal awareness, self development and building a learning community
- Understanding adult and popular education
- Freire’s key principles that enable people to ‘read their reality and write their own history’
- Social and structural analysis
- Ethical leadership and building organisation based on action/reflection
- Strategic planning, organising and mobilising
- Political economy
- Spirituality and culture in context
- Gender, feminism, gender reconciliation
- Social business/ enterprise
- Social research
- Facilitation skills
DIPLOMA COURSE REQUIREMENTS
- Attend the residential course full time.
- Write weekly and final papers.
- Design and conduct skills practice sessions (workshops)
during the home phases and submit reports on these.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
Development practitioners, community organizers from FBO’s, CBOs, NGOs and facilitators with more than three years of experience.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Experienced trainers/organisers with at least three to five years of experience working with grassroots groups.
- Be employed or actively engaged in community work.
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing in English.
- A signed agreement to serve their organisation for three years after graduation from Training for Transformation.
CERTIFIED DIPLOMA COURSE
This course is jointly certified by Kimmage Development Studies Centre, Dublin, Ireland, and The Grail Centre Trust. Kimmage runs academic and professional courses for development practitioners. The academic programmes run by Kimmage are internationally recognised and are accredited by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI),which is a full member of the European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education. More info on Kimmage website.
The Diploma Course tariff is USD 7 000 to cover transport, full board and lodging. Bursaries could be available to participants from organizations in need. However, such organizations are required to pay a minimum fee of USD 2 500 plus 100 per cent transport to and from South Africa. For South African organizations in need of support please contact 028 271 4887 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.