"Reading our reality and writing our own history". Paulo Freire
The Training for Transformation Certificate course is a nine months course divided into four phases. Two residential phases of three weeks each and two home phases of three months each. The residential phases are held at Grail Centre, Kleinmond, Cape Town while more of their practical work is done in their countries. It is a regional course for participants coming from southern Africa.
- To develop a new level of leadership in the development education field that is grounded in good theory and practice.
- To build the capacity of teams from NGOs, FBOs and CBOs so as to enhance their ability to engage with local communities to become self reliant in development efforts, link local initiatives to national and global civil society movements.
- To build confidence, knowledge and skills to work with and challenge local and national governments to ensure macroeconomic policies that are to the advantage of the marginalised.
AREAS OF STUDY
- Introduction to understanding the deep psychological blocks in people who have been traumatized by poverty, which hinders the building of trust between and among people with different interests.
- The development of critical consciousness and creativity in people as initially developed by Paulo Freire in Brazil.
- Tools and skills to empower local communities to understand fundamental human needs and respond to all forms of poverty and launch community development efforts for self-reliance.
- Social-economic analysis through organizations of civil society to de-mythologize the fear that they were unable to understand the functioning of society at different levels.
- Participatory methodologies in basic adult education developed by Freire, Knowles, Benne, Ritvo and other practitioners based on group leadership skills and understanding of group dynamics.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
Development practitioners, community organizers from FBO’s, CBOs, NGOs and facilitators with more than three years of experience.